Apply now for the EUniWell BIP on “Discussing History Education through Heritage”!
The course is aimed at students of Teacher Training with the subjects History and Social Sciences (Bachelor or Master) from EUniWell universities and the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool van Amsterdam). It is organised as Erasmus+ Blended Intensive Programme (BIP) with online classes and onsite sessions in Cologne.
The programme is coordinated by the University of Cologne and classes are designed by EUniWell professors (University of Cologne and Linnaeus University) in cooperation with the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences.
The learning objectives of the programme are as follows:
- Learning about different history curricula and approaches in history teaching in Europe
- Learning to design and evaluate lessons on national and European heritage objects
- Exploring opportunities to collaborate internationally in history education and discussing multiple perspectives
- Learning about how to deal with difficult memory cultures
Contents will be discussed from different perspectives:
- Practical perspective: How to make choices/ how to activate learners?
- Moral perspective: What options are there to discuss hot and cold issues? Teaching or preaching.
- Inclusive perspective: How do you reach/ include students who are traditionally not well-served by the system? What are marginalised groups?
The course starts with an online meeting. In the middle of the course, students and lecturers will spend a week in Cologne, including an excursion to Amsterdam, and working on lesson materials. Lessons will be implemented, evaluated and discussed in a closing online seminar.
The programme corresponds to 3 ECTS. Students will receive a certificate after successful participation.
- 24 May 2023, 16:00-17:30 CEST / 15:00-16:30 BST: Introduction of themes and getting to know each other (Online)
- 13 Sep 2023, 15:00-18:00 CEST / 14:00-17:00 BST: First Online Class
- 23-27 Oct 2023: Onsite Classes and Activities in Cologne and Excursion to Amsterdam
- 15 Nov 2023, 9:00-11:00 CET / 08:00-10:00 GMT: Second Online Class
- 10 Jan 2024, 9:00-11:00 CET / 08:00-10:00 GMT: Presentation of Outcomes (Online)
- For application, please fill out this form.
- First application deadline: 21 May 2023 (to participate in the online get-to-know session at the end of May; if more places are available, we will reopen the call in early summer)
- The course is free of charge.
- The trip to Cologne and accommodation have to be organised by the students themselves.
- The Blended Intensive Programme is eligible for Erasmus+ short-term funding. Funding will be provided from your home university through Erasmus+ or EUniWell.
- You will receive detailed information about the funding options from your home universities after successful application.
For further information, please contact Leonie Tillmanns.
Stay in touch & up-to-date!
Follow us on our social media channels:
And subscribe to our EUniWell newsletter for regular highlights and save-the-dates to upcoming EUniWell events delivered straight to your inbox: