Civic Leadership means “working to make a difference in the civic life of our communities and developing the combination of knowledge, skills, values and motivation to make that difference. It means promoting the quality of life in a community”. (Thomas Ehrlich (ed.) (2000): Civic Responsibility and Higher Education, Oryx Press: xxvi.)
To strengthen Civic Leadership by enabling collaboration and exchange opportunities, the platform “Civic Leadership to Improve Social Well-Being” was created to bring together partners from university and society:
Today’s social, political and ecological challenges and the simultaneous thrive for Europeans’ citizens well-being and quality of life leads to two inevitable realisations:
- The need for cross-sectoral collaborations between students, universities and external stakeholders to face as well as find solutions to our century’s challenges – in order to strengthen the common feeling of well-being.
- The need of universities to align research and education with real social needs and issues – to reinforce a university’s role in and responsibility for society as well as to provide a learning environment in which students are enabled to become responsible citizens.
To follow this guidance, a project team from Birmingham, Cologne and Linnaeus developed the digital platform increasing collaboration between universities, students and external stakeholders by:
- Providing opportunities for external engagement (physical and virtual)
- Providing a collaboration space accessible to all three stakeholders
- Providing resources to support civic engagement and enterprise education
What’s in it for you?
As a student …
… you can find mobility as well as engagement opportunities, both virtual and physical. Explore internships, job opportunities and project-based classrooms that follow the UN SDGs.
As an educator …
… you can find a network and guidelines to support embedding the UN SDGs in your classroom and institution. Engage with external stakeholders to build curricula around real social needs.
As an external partner …
… you can find collaborative opportunities, as well as contacts to address a (social) need to be addressed in an academic environment.
The platform is placed in the eLearning system EduLabs. Click on the following link to gain access and to get inspired for your next cross-sectoral collaboration!
- Click on “New Account Registration”
- Fill in your username and password of choice. Fill in your e-mail address.
- You will be sent a confirmation e-mail.
- Click on the link in the e-mail to activate your EduLabs account.
- Once again click on the link
and login with your new EduLabs account information.
- Find the platform “Civic Leadership” on your “Dashboard”.
If you have any questions concerning the platform, need help with accessing it, want to contribute to the content or would like to receive more information - get in touch!
Hannah Lowe: euniwell[@]contacts.bham.ac.uk